Spring has officially sprung! Bringing warmer days and outdoor play, sports, and travel. The following are a few tips to keep our kids safe, happy, and healthy while enjoying Spring.
Help little ones identify plants that are poisonous by looking at pictures together or getting outside and identifying them together. Wear long pants/sleeves if there is a risk of exposure to the plant (dead or alive) or its oils.
If you believe you or your child might have been exposed to poison ivy or others do the following:
Wash all clothing right away
Wash exposed skin gently with a warm, soapy washcloth and copious running water
If your child develops an itchy rash try to discourage scratching and keep nails trimmed short.
Itching may be soothed by applying cold compresses and calamine lotion.
If open blisters are present, you can safely use an aluminum acetate solution such as over-the-counter Burrow Solution for 15-30 minutes at a time up to 4 times per day on the affected areas.
Poison Ivy rashes may last 1 to 3 weeks.
Give us a call or bring your child if:
The rash is affecting the majority of the body, face, or genital areas.
Moderate to significant swelling is present.
The rash may not be related to the plant exposure, but you suspect something else may have caused it.
There is any trouble breathing, wheezing or swelling of the lips or tongue. In the case of a potentially severe allergic reaction, call 911 immediately!